Thursday, June 5, 2008

Day 1: France to Berlin, for 10euros!

I made it! I am writing this post from the very cool (so far, I have only been here like an hour) Circus Hostel in Berlin, Germany. Yay!!

Due to a mistake in reading Clay and Rachel's itineraries, I have arrived a day earlier than the two of them. I plan on "checking things out" and maybe doing some research on how we can spend the next few days, I also plan on sleeping in a park under the sunshine for a little while. France has been ridiculously cloudy and rainy for the last 4 weeks or something insane.

I had a very interesting trip here, if only because I spent several hours last night sleeping on the floor of the Frankfurt airport along with a bunch of other backpackers who must have had a similar idea.

When trying to figure out how to get to Berlin, I decided to check out Ryanair, the superdiscount european airline, and got exceptionally lucky. Flights from Montpellier to Frankfurt and Frankfurt to Berlin were 5euros each! Unreal. So, I booked them both, although that also meant I had a few hours to kill between arriving at 11pm in Frankfurt and taking off at 6am for Berlin. Basically I read, and tried to get comfortable on the floor. Finally fell asleep around 2:30 and then some German woman woke me up at 4am because they were starting to check in.

On the positive side, I had a few good things happen along the way, which seems to be a good omen, or at least a good way to start things off.

1) Got a free ride to the airport after another woman and I arrived 1 minute too late to catch the shuttle. She called a cab and then charged it to her company. Sweet.

2) Had a brand new bottle of sunscreen, sadly in a 200ml bottle which is over the 100ml limit for liquids. Tried to get it past them, but the French security called me out. So, the woman let me keep it by transferring the contents of the bottle into two empty 100ml bottle. Because now, if it had been dangerous before, it is much safer in smaller containers. Ridiculous. But at least I didn't have to throw it out!

3) Didn't have any problems getting through security in Germany, yay. I made it!

So I am off to sit in a park until my room is available! Maybe buy some shampoo and snack food.

Will try to keep updated! SOOO excited about this trip!!

No comments: