Monday, June 23, 2008

Day 18: My Birthday in Dubrovnik!

Another sweltering day on the Croatian coast! The three of us went down to one of the city beaches to take in the sun and sea, although after some unfortunate sunburns earlier in the week, we were all SUPER careful (Clay stayed out of the sun completely, having to pay 20kuna for a beer so he could take shelter in the covered bar). Rachel and I, not able to afford the 150kuna for a cool little shaded cabana/bed thing (it looked super nice, but way out of our price range), tried to hide at least our faces under other people's beds. With liberally applied sunscreen.

It was so hot we were sweltering on the beach after just fifteen minutes- I mean, sweating profusely. A good day to actually get in the water and swim. The sea felt amazing, even after just dipping my feet in the water I was cooled off, but a nice swim around was perfect.

The water is amazingly clear here- I really wish I had brought two things to do the beach in Croatia: 1) a diving mask, because the water was super clear and it would have been nice to look around at the fish and stuff and 2) aqua socks/water shoes...the pebble beaches really hurt my feet!!! And you can't really swim around in flip flops.

Anyway, after a few hours, we knew we couldn't take too much more of the 100 degree sun, so we walked around and made our way back up the hill to the comfort of our little apartment where we cooked lunch and watched some crappy American sitcoms with Croatian subtitles.

We also read and did some Sudoko- I know, super exciting.

The late afternoon we spent getting ready for my birthday extravaganza, which was basically finding a cool restaurant and eating and drinking for a few hours. I also was really excited to wear a new dress I got in Split and enjoy being a little bit indulgent for a few hours.

We found a perfect restaurant and I had a great meal and we all shared some wine and enjoyed the sun going down over the water. Beautiful night!

We finished the evening in our apartment eating chocolate and watching the last part of the Spain v. Italy game (which went into overtime, again, just like the last three matches).

Fun birthday!

No comments: